Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Problem restarting SQL Server Agent

We're running SQL Server 2000. Apparently the servers were restarted after
maintenance over the weekend (without telling me :-) and the SQL Server Job
Agent failed to restart. The option to 'AutoRestart SQL Server Agent if it
stops unexpectedly' is NOT set (and I'm not sure I have the authority to
change this option).
There were two messages in the Agent Error Log that appear relevant and
happened at about the same time..
[240] 1 engine thread(s) failed to stop after 30 seconds of waiting
[311] Thread 'JobInvocationEngine' (ID 3812) is still running
Can anyone explain to me what I'm seeing here? (Shouldn't the agent restart
automatically during a normal server startup? Also please define
'unexpectedly'. Does 'Unexpectedly' include server shutdowns?)Hi
"B. Chernick" wrote:
> We're running SQL Server 2000. Apparently the servers were restarted after
> maintenance over the weekend (without telling me :-) and the SQL Server Job
> Agent failed to restart. The option to 'AutoRestart SQL Server Agent if it
> stops unexpectedly' is NOT set (and I'm not sure I have the authority to
> change this option).
> There were two messages in the Agent Error Log that appear relevant and
> happened at about the same time..
> [240] 1 engine thread(s) failed to stop after 30 seconds of waiting
> [311] Thread 'JobInvocationEngine' (ID 3812) is still running
> Can anyone explain to me what I'm seeing here? (Shouldn't the agent restart
> automatically during a normal server startup? Also please define
> 'unexpectedly'. Does 'Unexpectedly' include server shutdowns?)
These errors look like they have occurred during shutdown and not startup!
Check on the server properties in the general tab for Autostart policies
when the Operating System starts that Autostart SQL Agent is set to start.
John|||My apologies. It looks like I appended too soon. I am not a full time DBA.
The agent option was unchecked.
(Looks like the problem is administrative, not technical.)
"John Bell" wrote:
> Hi
> "B. Chernick" wrote:
> > We're running SQL Server 2000. Apparently the servers were restarted after
> > maintenance over the weekend (without telling me :-) and the SQL Server Job
> > Agent failed to restart. The option to 'AutoRestart SQL Server Agent if it
> > stops unexpectedly' is NOT set (and I'm not sure I have the authority to
> > change this option).
> >
> > There were two messages in the Agent Error Log that appear relevant and
> > happened at about the same time..
> >
> > [240] 1 engine thread(s) failed to stop after 30 seconds of waiting
> > [311] Thread 'JobInvocationEngine' (ID 3812) is still running
> >
> > Can anyone explain to me what I'm seeing here? (Shouldn't the agent restart
> > automatically during a normal server startup? Also please define
> > 'unexpectedly'. Does 'Unexpectedly' include server shutdowns?)
> These errors look like they have occurred during shutdown and not startup!
> Check on the server properties in the general tab for Autostart policies
> when the Operating System starts that Autostart SQL Agent is set to start.
> John

No comments:

Post a Comment