Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Problem restoring SQL Svr 2000 Master db - wrong server version?

I'm trying to rebuild from a meltdown. I'm using disk backup files. I
could have sworn that I had SQL Server 2000 SP3 installed on the old
machine, but maybe not.

With SP3 installed, I get a message along the lines that the restore
can't be done because the backup was created using server version
134218262 and this server is version 134218488.

I've searched the documentation and can't find any reference to those
version numbers.

In any case, I thought SQL Server 2000 could restore backups created
on any SP level to any SP level.

Any ideas?

--
Regards.
Richard.On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:30:12 GMT, Richard Sherratt
<richard.sherratt@.NOTHINGHEREbrunsley.com.au> wrote:

>I'm trying to rebuild from a meltdown. I'm using disk backup files. I
>could have sworn that I had SQL Server 2000 SP3 installed on the old
>machine, but maybe not.

Ooop. Sorry. I had SP2 installed.

--
Regards.
Richard.|||"Richard Sherratt" <richard.sherratt@.NOTHINGHEREbrunsley.com.au> wrote in
message news:dp7700dtggi3ev97mmgfgtacct926mjdb4@.4ax.com...
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:30:12 GMT, Richard Sherratt
> <richard.sherratt@.NOTHINGHEREbrunsley.com.au> wrote:
> >I'm trying to rebuild from a meltdown. I'm using disk backup files. I
> >could have sworn that I had SQL Server 2000 SP3 installed on the old
> >machine, but maybe not.
> Ooop. Sorry. I had SP2 installed.

You mention the master DB in the subject.

I believe the system databases (Master, Model, MSDB) have to be restored to
the same level service pack they were backed up from.

Otherwise you're right. You can restore different SP levels of dbs to
different servers.

>
> --
> Regards.
> Richard.|||"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" <mooregr@.greenms.com> wrote in message news:<eRSMb.72883$Dq1.66308@.twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> "Richard Sherratt" <richard.sherratt@.NOTHINGHEREbrunsley.com.au> wrote in
> message news:dp7700dtggi3ev97mmgfgtacct926mjdb4@.4ax.com...
> > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:30:12 GMT, Richard Sherratt
> > <richard.sherratt@.NOTHINGHEREbrunsley.com.au> wrote:
> > >I'm trying to rebuild from a meltdown. I'm using disk backup files. I
> > >could have sworn that I had SQL Server 2000 SP3 installed on the old
> > >machine, but maybe not.
> > Ooop. Sorry. I had SP2 installed.
> You mention the master DB in the subject.
> I believe the system databases (Master, Model, MSDB) have to be restored to
> the same level service pack they were backed up from.
> Otherwise you're right. You can restore different SP levels of dbs to
> different servers.

As part of a D&R test we restored databases to new servers, much the
same as you appear to be trying.

My best guess is that you have a different server name. We made sure
that the servers had the same name as the 'real' ones. If you are
dealing with a meltdown, this might actually help because your client
software won't have to be modified for the new server name.
>
> > --
> > Regards.
> > Richard.|||On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:59:38 GMT, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
<mooregr@.greenms.com> wrote:

<snip
>You mention the master DB in the subject.
>I believe the system databases (Master, Model, MSDB) have to be restored to
>the same level service pack they were backed up from.
>Otherwise you're right. You can restore different SP levels of dbs to
>different servers.

Thanks. That would explain it.

--
Regards.
Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment